Hot tubs are lovely places to relax and unwind, but if they’re not kept clean, they can become breeding grounds for bacteria and other unhealthy microorganisms.
Cleaning your hot tub is important to keep it functioning properly and looking great.
However, it can be daunting if you don’t know where to start. In this article, we’ll show you how to clean a hot tub so that you can enjoy it without worry.
1. Remove The Hot Tub’s Cover
Before you start hot tub cleaning, you’ll need to remove the cover. This will give you better access to the inside of the tub so that you can clean it more effectively. However, the cover can be heavy, so be careful when you’re removing it.
2. Drain The Water
Once the cover is off, you can begin draining the water. First, you’ll need to drain the hot tub completely. This will help you get rid of any dirty water that’s been sitting in the tub. Also, turn the breaker off or disconnect the power, so you don’t accidentally electrocute yourself while cleaning.
3. Clean The Shell
Once the tub is empty, you can start cleaning the shell. You can use a garden hose with a spray nozzle to remove any dirt and debris that’s built up on the outside of the tub. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies, so you don’t leave any dirt behind. To clean the shell:
- Mix a cleaning solution. You’ll need to mix up a cleaning solution to clean the shell effectively. You can use a commercial hot tub cleaner or make your own by mixing 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water.
- Apply the cleaning solution. Once you have your cleaning solution, you can apply it to the tub’s shell. You can use a sponge or a cloth to apply the solution. Be sure to scrub all of the surfaces so that you remove all of the dirt and grime.
- Rinse the tub. After you’ve scrubbed the tub, you can rinse it off with clean water. Be sure to remove all the cleaning solutions so that they don’t leave any residue behind.
- Dry the tub. Once you’ve rinsed the tub, you can dry it off with a clean towel. Be sure to dry all the surfaces, so there’s no water left behind.
4. Clean The Jets
The next step is to clean the jets. You can use a jet cleaning solution to help remove any accumulated build-up in the jets. Be sure to follow the instructions on the cleaning solution so that you use it properly.
Here’s how to clean the Jets:
- Remove the jets. The first step is to remove the jets from the tub. This will give you better access to clean them properly.
- Clean the jets. Once the jets are removed, you can start cleaning them. You can use a jet cleaning solution to help remove any accumulated build-up in the jets. Be sure to follow the instructions on the cleaning solution so that you use it properly.
- Replace the jets. Once the jets are clean, you can replace them back into the tub. Again, be sure to hand-tighten them so that they’re secure.
5. Clean The Filter
The filter is an important part of your hot tub and needs to be cleaned regularly. You can use a filter cleaning solution to clean the filter and get rid of any dirt or debris that’s accumulated on it. Clean the filters using a filter-cleaning solution.
For cleaning the filter:
- Unplug the hot tub or turn the GFCI breaker off: Before you start cleaning the filter, you’ll need to unplug the hot tub or turn the GFCI breaker off so that you don’t accidentally electrocute yourself.
- Remove the filter: Once the power is off, you can remove the filter. The filter is usually located in the filter housing or skimmer basket.
- Rinse the filter: Rinse the filter with clean water to remove any dirt or debris that’s on it.
- Clean the filter: You can use a filter cleaning solution to clean the filter. Be sure to follow the instructions on the cleaning solution so that you use it properly.
- Again Rinse the filter: Once you’ve cleaned the filter, rinse it off with clean water.
- Replace the filter: Replace the filter in the hot tub and turn the power back on.
6. Use a Soft Brush to Clean the Sides and Bottom of The Hot Tub
You can use a soft brush to clean the sides and bottom of the hot tub. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies, so you don’t leave any dirt behind.
7. Drain The Hot Tub
Once you’ve finished hot tub cleaning, you can drain the hot tub, so the dirty water can be removed. Be sure to disconnect the power before you start draining the tub.
8. Refill The Hot Tub
Once you’ve finished cleaning, you can refill the tub with fresh water. Be sure to reconnect the power so that you can enjoy your clean hot tub. Also, be sure to add the appropriate amount of chemicals to the water so that it’s safe to use.
9. Add The Chemicals
Once the hot tub is full, you can add the chemicals. Be sure to add the appropriate amount of chemicals to ensure the water is safe. Test the water with a test strip to ensure the levels are where they should be.
Conclusion – Easily Clean a Hot Tub With Our Guide
Hot tubs are a great way to relax, but they must be kept clean to be safe. Follow the steps above to learn how to clean a hot tub so that you can enjoy it without worry.
Hot tubs can be a great way to relax and enjoy time with friends and family, but they require regular maintenance to stay clean and function properly. We have discussed the steps necessary to clean your hot tub using simple household supplies.
So whether your hot tub needs a good scrubbing or just needs a little TLC, this guide is the best place for you!
Want the full picture on Hot Tubs and Swim Spas?! Read our FREE E-Book,
“Nearly Everything You Need to Know About Hot Tubs.”